Saturday, June 18, 2011

Swimming like a Fish...

Finally... My stroke is coming together. Swim practice with the TEAM today. After a very long and stressful week this is what I needed. Not an easy swim; but a good one.

Here was our workout.
  • 100 Yard Warm Up
  • 5x50 yrds (250 yds) Drills - Buoy, Reverse Buoy, Finger Tips, Fists, Catchup
  • 10x50 yds (500 yds) on the 1:30 (a little too much rest in between for me)
  • 5x100 yds (500 yds) Straight - Total Time 11:23 (Last summer, my 500 time was 14+)
  • Sprints: 1x25 yds, 1x50 yds, 1x75 yds, 1x100 yds (250 yds)
  • 2x100 Warm Down
Diagram of a flip turn
Total 1800 Yds = Roughly 1.1 miles

A good swim work out followed by a Flip Turn Clinic. Seems easy, looks easy, but not easy. Flip turning is not necessarily hard either, just not a easy thing to just do. It takes practice and a sense of where you are in the pool in relation to the wall. 

You probably want to know how a flip turn will help me with swimming in open water... Well... It wont.  But, flip turning in the pool is more efficient when training. Two things... 1. Yes, there are no walls in open waters to push off of. and, 2. There are no walls in open water to stop me from swimming if even for a second or two to turn around.

My homework for the week is working on endurance and flip turns. My stroke is finally down to a fairly decent stroke and much more efficient. (I counted only 18 strokes across the pool today!!! Down from 22!! Just by stretching out my stroke!)

By the way, Swimming is a THINKING sport. No way to get through the workout without constantly thinking about form. In the last 50 yards of my swim my right calf cramped (badly) when I kicked off the wall. With 25 yards to go, the right foot decided to join in.  Nothing will break your form faster than a cramp. =(

No comments:

Post a Comment