Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Come Snow, Rain, Sleet, Hail.... My Tahoe Adventure Continues

View from our room at Harvey's.  That is Emerald Bay
in the distance.  Our first tough climb.
Early Sunday morning we woke and looked out our window at our gorgeous view to find it was raining. No wait, it was pouring!! And freezing! Oh boy! I thought 'Is it too late to opt out??' I do not need to catch pneumonia from a bike ride!



Although I was still contemplating my options, I was dressing, layer by layer, to go for a bike ride in 38 degree raining weather. I bundled up as much as I could without adding too much additional weight. I just wanted to be warm.

One of our teammates, my dear friend Leanne (Scorcher), was unable to even start the ride. A few weeks ago she tweaked her back; and, on Saturday's ride she irritated that injury to a point where she knew even a short ride would make her miserable. She was so upset. Being the big team player she is, she decided to sag for the entire event for us. She followed us along the course offering assistance where she could (even dry socks which were worth more than gold for this event). For that, we ALL thank her!

Our Palm Beach TNT Team: Ready to take on Tahoe.
Sitting: Kamikaze (Sam), Bobcat (Kristin)
Standing L-R: Rambo (Jon), Kansas (Jacey), McFlurry (me),
McNugget (Nikki), Ghost Rider (David), Coach McTorture (Bryan),
Scorcher (Leanne), RockStar (Judy), Mama (Susana), G3 (Gary)

We met in the lobby at 6am. Our wave start was 630 and given the weather we were not in a hurry to get outside and wait. One thing I can appreciate with a Cycle event (or at least this event) vs a marathon event, we don't HAVE to corral at an ungodly hour and wait in the weather for our later start. Unlike the 2010 Disney Marathon where we were at the corrals by 5 for a 630 start in 24 degree weather with a 17 degree wind-chill.

At 635am (Pacific time) we started our ride. Yes, it was raining. Yes, it was cold. But we were off to begin the ride we committed to so many months ago and have trained so hard for. Not one of us had false pretenses at this point about this being like any other training ride (just longer). We trained in cold, but never this cold. We have even trained in rain, but not freezing rain. We also trained hills, but not altitude and mountains. Basically, this ride was set to be all of our training to the tenth power. I am not exaggerating!

At this point my only though was about the warm, dry bed I left back at the hotel. Then I glanced down at my right wrist. There, wrapped around my wrist on the outside of all layers, right next to my America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride bracelet (which I needed to gain access the SAG stops and the switch backs at Emerald Bay) was Courtney's IGKLA (I'm Gonna Kick Leukemia's A$$) silicon bracelet. Right then, I knew why I was here... We need a cure!

I knew I had 10 miles until I hit the base of Emerald Bay to begin the switch backs. So, in the cold rain, I reach down deep for that determination needed to get through this. At this point, the day was no longer about the training we all had been through over the last several months; this ride was all MENTAL! To last 103 miles in these conditions was going to take mental determination, perseverance, and inner strength.

At the top of the first switchback on the way up
to Emerald Bay.  You can see the rain/sleet.
At mile 6, Nikki McNugget, our LLS Staffer was there to cheer us on.  This is also the same place she saw many cyclists turning around to head back to the hotel.  These riders were from northern teams even.  But, not us kids from Palm Beach.  We kept going.

The first 9 miles seemed super slow.  Riding along A1A 19-20 mph seems easy: even with wind.  Here, to muscle 17 was an effort.  At 9 miles we came to a halt. We were at the base of Emerald Bay where race officials were checking to ensure we were registered riders on the course. Seriously? They think someone is going to crash this party? 38 degrees and raining?  Really?? Ha!!! I doubt that anyone is dumb enough to come out here in this. But there we all were: all 3000 insane people doing this ridiculous event.

The beautiful view from the top of Emerald Bay.
We crossed through the check station and had a 2 mile climb of almost 500 feet elevation gain. I hit the first of the 'mini' switchbacks and thought 'well, that wasn't so bad!'. Then I turned my head to the right and saw bikers climbing the REAL switchbacks. 'OH BOY!'  (Not exactly the phrase I uttered.)

After the uphill battle to Emerald Bay (at an average of 6 mph), there was a beautiful view; and, more importantly, a 200 foot (1 mile) downhill!  Woo hooo!!!  I hit 36 mph on that down hill.  With wet roads I was a little more cautious than I would have been had it not been raining.  Everyone seemed to be on their brakes.  Here comes the annoying Palm Beach girl screaming "ON YOUR LEFT!!!"
  
After another 200 foot climb then we were down hill to the second sag stop at Homewood Mountain Resort (26.9 miles in).  Already the views have been awe-inspiring, even through the gloomy weather.  However, at this stop I sort of hit my wall.  Just 27 miles in and I am already frozen with signs of hyperthermia.  I was really worried my toes were going to be frost bitten.  Luckily I had packed some extra socks in a dry bag and was able to change out of the soaked ones.

Kings Bay, CA....  Lunch Rest Stop and
Yucky Weather
This was a changing point in the day for me.  I was frozen, barely breathing, soaked to the bone from frozen rain... I did not know what to do.  Leanne messaged me and offered a dry car ride for a bit.  I took her up on it.  I know I set out to do all 100 miles here; however, I had to think about my health too.  I was just getting over a cold I had not quite kicked completely before this trip.  It seemed the cold air and rain was making matters worse.  I honestly did not want to come home with pneumonia. I thought, a short ride to the next stop would help me out a bit.

After leaving Homewood, Leanne and her wonderful husband Ray decided to stop at a sports shop and pick up some dry socks for everyone.  We then made our way to Truckee, CA, the third SAG stop on the course.  There I was able to talk to my coach.  I told him how I was feeling and that I was not doing well.  I was going to try to get back on my bike at Truckee and finish up, but I was still not able to feel my toes.  I barely was able to put my bike shoes back on my feet.  He suggested I wait until the 4th SAG stop at lunch (Kings Bay) to see how I felt before deciding.

Upon arrival at Kings Bay, the rain was bad.  Pouring down hard and not looking like I was about to finish this course.  I grabbed lunch, filled water bottles, and waited for our team to come in.  I was able to speak to all of them, except Kristen (Bobcat) as she was well ahead of everyone.

The sun finally shows itself at Kings Beach, CA.
It was when Coach McTorture came in to Kings Beach that I finally started to feel like I could finish this course.  The sun started to come out even.... FINALLY!  McTorture and I waited for Rock Star Judy to come in to the lunch stop while we sent the rest of the team on their way.

When Judy arrived, I helped her filling water bottles, grabbed her some lunch, then rested a bit.  The three of us, Judy, McTorture, and I, headed out on our bikes to conquer Spooner.  On our way out, Leanne tells us there is reports of hail at mile 90.  Oh Great!!!  As if snow, sleet, rain, wind was not enough, let's add hail for the fun of it all!

The moment we left the rest stop there was an immediate climb (@230 foot gain in just under two miles), almost a smack in the face after lunch.  I mean really?  Couldn't you find a better place for lunch?

About half way up Spooner where I stopped to
shed layers.
Thankfully, before we hit Spooner there is a 4 mile downhill through Incline Village. Time to catch my breath and ready myself for the long haul up Spooner.  Lets talk about Spooner.  This climb starts at mile 80 of the course at about 6300' elevation.  By the end of the 8-mile climb were at 7100' elevation (approximately 100' elevation gain per mile).  The hardest part for me was between miles 83 and 85 where we climbed from 6500' to 6900'.  After leaving McTorture back with 'Rock Star' at incline village (mile 74) he caught up to me around mile 85 as I was pealing off layers. The sun had come out and it was now HOT!

Finally, an hour later, I reached the top of the climb at Spooner Junction.  Waiting for me there was McTorture and rolling in right behind me was Judy.  After a brief stop to gobble down some PowerBar Gummies, we were back on our way to finish the 12 miles to the finish.  But first, time to bundle back up.  Even though the sun was out, the downhills from here were going to be fast and cold. I layered on the arm warmers and put my scarf back around my neck.

Right before the big downhill, we had to pass by mile 90 where there were reports of hail earlier.  Thankfully, we missed the hail.  I knew Nikki McNugget was there, but when I zoomed past the cheer station, I did not see her.  Later I found out she was in the car grabbing food as I went by.  She saw just the back end of my jersey as I went by.

Course Map and Elevation Chart
The downhill from Spooner is where I was hoping to hit 50-mph.  Unfortunately, I was heading directly into the wind coming off the lake.  Great view, but not easy to take that in at 39-mph.  I can imagine I must have been a sight to see... all tucked in tight and aero, scarf flapping in the wind behind me, screaming "ON YOUR LEFT!" as I zoomed past many riders on their breaks.

Whoever said it is all down hill after Spooner lied!  We had 6 more hills to climb.  We were still more down than up, but the uphills seemed tougher than normal.  Maybe the elevation? Maybe the cold wind?  Maybe just the end of the ride when we all just want to finish?  Either way, I just wanted to get back to the hotel for a long WARM shower.

The last few miles were fun at least.  I was playing this cat/mouse game with a TNT Team from Kansas.  They would beat me on the uphill, but I will kill them on the down hill.  All it took was the sign that said FINISH with an arrow for me to finally kick into gear.  I jumped off my seat and started to drill in my top ring.  One more turn and the finish line was there.  When I turned the corner all I saw was UP!  REALLY?  After all that we have to finish UPHILL?  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  Back off my seat, still in my top gear, I pumped and pumped to the finish where my teammates who finished before me where there to greet me!

What a feeling!
This is the view from the downhill at Spooner Junction,
only on Monday (the day after our ride) after the
overnight snow.  (Yes, SNOW in JUNE!)


Now, for those of you who know me, you know I am not one to easily give in.  As I was pondering whether or not to take the SAG through Truckee, CA, I remembered a previous coach who told me "Live to fight another day!"  No sense in injuring myself, or worsening my cold by being stupid. Although I did not complete the entire 100+ mile century ride, I did complete the two toughest parts of the course: Emerald Bay Switchbacks and Spooner Junction.  The bottom line is... I started and finished this ride ON MY BIKE.  I did not give up, I just took a rest to warm up.  All in all, I got in about 60 miles in not-so-accommodating weather conditions.  All my fingers and toes are in tact and no frostbite or hypothermia to report.

Sitting: Bobcat, Rambo, McFlurry,
Standing L-R: Gimpy, Ghost Rider,  Mama, Kansas,
McNugget, McTorture, G3, Scorcher, RockStar, Kamikaze
To all my ROCK STAR Teammates... Bobcat (Kristin), Rambo (Jon), Kansas (Jacey), RockStar (Judy), G3 (Gary), Ghost Rider (David), Kamikaze (Sam), Scorcher (Leanne), Mama (Susana), and Gimpy (Stefany)...  YOU ALL ARE AMAZING!  Thank you all for such a wonderful season with lots of fun tales that will live on forever (Squirrels, and Rabbits, and Bobcats, OH MY!).  You all have made this season with TNT the best ever!!!

To Coach Brutal Bryan Big Mac Daddy McTorture, Thank you for making me a better cyclist.  If it were not for you I would not be as comfortable on my bike as I am today and I would not have felt I could have even started that ride, let alone finish it!  You ROCK!  (I don't care what Rob says, YOU ARE THE BESTEST!!!)

To Nikki McNugget... Thank you for always being positive and optimistic.  "It may be raining and cold, but isn't the scenery beautiful?"  You were such a bright star in such gloomy weather!  Even if you did miss me coming out of Spooner; I forgive you!!! =)

To all my supporters:  I hope this report from Lake Tahoe does not disappoint you.  I appreciate your continued support through all these endeavors with LLS and TNT.  You make this possible!  One day, together, we will find a cure.

True Story... most of this team has decided to do this ride again next year.  I mean, the weather cannot be THIS bad two years in a row, can it???  My commitment has been made to LLS/TNT already and I am determined to finish the entire ride next year with the same team.  If you would like to join us, we would love to have you!  (http://www.teamintraining.org/)

One thing is certain, I have a shopping list for next year... Just in case the weather is again not-so-accommodating...  Water proof pants/jacket, cycling tights, water proof socks for keeping my feet dry/warm, water resistant gloves, chap stick, anti-fog shades, more hand warmers, more feet warmers, lots of plastic baggies, etc....  Feel free to add suggestions in the comments or to send extra gear yoiu may have my way!!!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Andi, you make me proud! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! You are such an inspiration. Your endurance through such unaccomodating circumstances is a testament of your strength, inner and physical. Great job! Thanks for the play by play story. You should be so proud of this accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete