Monday, June 6, 2011

Shake Out Ride... In the Cold Rain

The last few months I have been blogging about the training my team and I have been going through: not to mention the many requests I have sent out for donations to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society for this event.


Palm Beach TNT On our way to pick up our bikes: Susana,
Stefany, Sam, McTorture, Judy, Me Leanne, Jon, Kristin
Let me start by saying thank you!!! My team for the 2011 America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride in Lake Tahoe raised over $40,000 (just 12 of us). The entire LLS TNT group from all over the US raised $6.8 million.
It is the generosity of our families, friends, associates, strangers, etc... that allow us to do these thing with TNT as we spread the word and raise more awareness for blood cancers. So on behalf of the Society, my teammates, and blood cancer patients everywhere... THANK YOU!!

Now, for the ride... Saturday we woke in Lake Tahoe for an early packet pick up. We received our bib numbers, goodies, and had a chance for light shopping (last minute most necessary warm clothes).

Saturday's weather was gloomy rain and cold (48ish degrees). Yes, we were still going for our shake out ride.

Leanne, Me, Jacey, McTorture, Kristin
On our way out the door for a ride.
What's a shake out ride? This is our chance to check last minute bike mechanics, figure out ride gear for the next day, etc... In this cold rain we were all bundled in layers. I decided to reserve my warmest layers for the actual ride. I still had an under layer, a layer of water resistant rain gear, and top layer training bike jersey. I also wore my ear warmers, beanie cap, scarf, gloves, two pairs of socks, etc.... I thought I was good to go.

The rain came down as we headed out and I had to question my sanity. What on earth was this Florida Girl doing in this cold, wet weather on a bike? And at these altitudes? Asthma anyone??

I will say I completely underestimated the effect the altitude would have on my ability to breathe! Absolutely crazy... The hotel was at 6000+ elevation. And I had to climb the mountains on my bike? Really? Oh, boy.... My coach, McTorture said he was having a hard time and he is not asthmatic. He knew I was not having an easy time. When he asked if I was OK, I told him 'I don't think I am going to be able to do this ride tomorrow.'. His answer: 'Oh, I don't think you are right about that!'

I suppose when we took off at 23+ mph to drop a group of riders that were so-so on their bikes and seemingly dangerous, I probably over exerted myself. Add hills and rain and cold air, I was having a tough time breathing.

I made it out with the team, but I took the return trip a bit slower. Did I mention I was still getting over a bad cold? Can you say pneumonia?

All in all the ride went well. We made about 19-20 miles in what seemed to be impossible conditions. We all felt ready, yet scared of what the next day would bring.

Before the actual ride, we had a team meeting and Inspirational Dinner to go to still. We had a few moments after the ride to shower and relax. Boy that shower felt great!

Team Meeting was great. Last minute tips, rules, what-to-do-when instructions, and a bit of fun. First was the business of the event. There were a total of 3000 participants, 1/2 of which were from TNT - GO TEAM! We were given important numbers necessary for safety, assistance, etc... We even had a chance to meet Ghost Rider (our teammate David who was always so busy we never had a chance to meet him).

McTorture showing off his new
thong and boa
Then we had some fun. I was a mentor this season: someone who assists with fund-raising, inspiration, etc... The team gave me a great card and the best T-shirt... "What happens in Lake Tahoe stays on Facebook and YouTube forever". LOVE IT!!! (And a Princess sticker for my bike!)

We, as a team, did a little shopping for our staffer and coach. For Little Nikki McNugget, a heartfelt card and a set of bicycle bookends. McTorture was a bit different. We have had so much fun this season and so many stories/adventures; we needed a little more for coach. We did our shopping in an 'adult' store. The picture says more than I can explain. It was great!!

After the meeting, I went with a few teammates for more last minute shopping. We bought breakfast for the morning, and snacks for later. Then Jacey and I took a walk down to the Lake where I actually walked into the water. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr! I want to say it was colder than the Pacific (I did this same thing in San Diego when I completed the Rock n Roll San Diego Half Marathon last year this same weekend!).

Kristin & I sportin' our Triple Crown Tiaras
Later Saturday Night was our Team Inspirational Dinner. This is where National TNT staff give a speech, lots of thanks, and recognition. Kristin (Bobact), Jon (Rambo), and I (McFlurry) received our Triple Crowns. This is a recognition from LLS for being fund raising participants in a triathlon, marathon, and a century ride. We all had a great dinner and lots of fun.

Then it was off to bed for the big day the next morning....

To Be Continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment