Sunday, May 8, 2011

Clermont Trip: Part Duex

So the Team set off to Clermont again this weekend for one more attempt at the Florida Alps.  I have to say, this TEAM rocks!!!  Thanks to coach Mc Torture!  

Friday we set out about 530 for a 30 mile ride.  We stuck together and had fun.  After all, it was a Friday Fun Day Ride...  Even though Coach McTorture was not with us, he sent us with cue sheets for the rides.  First up, a nice little tour of a neighborhood then right up a steep hill on Northridge Ave.  Not Nice Mc Torture!!!  We were not even warmed up yet!

Off to Oakland where I found out Saturday when we were heading home is just 4 miles up the road from the hotel (funny how it takes us 18 miles to get there... all I hear is bwuahahahahahahahaha!!)  Nice ride, though.  It has beautiful scenery.  We did a leisurely 32 miles at an average of 17 I believe.  Not too bad for a Friday Fun Ride. 

One tiny problem...  I hurt my knee on the ride.  Not really my knee, but sorta. You see, I have this baker cyst behind my knee that my orthopedic has known about since the second of three surgeries.  However, he opted not to remove it.  Not ever thinking it would be a problem, I suppose.  Except, when you aggravate it, and it becomes inflamed, it annoys the tendon and becomes a major problem when trying to climb hills.  I managed to muscle my way back to the hotel without too much whining, but I was in a ton of pain.

We all showered and went to dinner.  I took a few Aleve and believed that would do the trick for Saturday.  Up and off early (with a nice chill in the air); but, after climbing Northridge again in the morning, I was done with only 4 miles completed.  The pain was enough for me to know I would be walking more than riding that day and that was just not a good idea.  In order to save myself and my knee for the most important ride, Tahoe, I decided to hang back and just support the team from a vehicle for the ride.

Judy, Leanne, Kris, Jon, and Jacey
at the top of Sugarloaf
I am quite disappointed in myself, but very proud of my team.  They did awesome!  I have learned from many of my previous coaches I need to take a break when the body says to.  I have also learned as the body heals, it does not forget the endurance training.  It will not take me weeks to gain my stride back, it will be natural.  I just need to rest and let my knee heal.  

So, being the good student I am, I am doing just that.  As disappointed I am that I could not ride Clermont again, I know I will live to ride another day.  A quote that comes to mind... "The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way.”

If you have been keeping up with my blog then you know the strength of my desire to find a cure is ever enduring.  You also know my dream of finding a cure is bigger than myself.  Now it is all about how I handle disappointment.  This is not my first go-around when it comes to disappointments in my events.  In 2009 I had to walk off a half marathon course at mile 9 if I had hopes of ever walking again, let alone running.  That was hard for me and my competitive nature.  But I did it and four weeks later I finished Disney's Marathon.  So I can let the disappointment defeat me, or I can come back stronger than ever.  My choice, I am sure you already know, is to come back stronger than ever.  

Jacey, Me, and Kris
Over the next few days I will not be riding or running.  Swimming will be my main sport.  I need to practice for  Nation's anyhow.  Just know I will not let one injury defeat me.  I was taught growing up that your dreams are worth fighting for.  I plan to fight for mine!

Go Team!!

No comments:

Post a Comment