Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Tackling One Goal At A Time

Well, hello again... I hope you did not miss me too much.  I know I promised to update my blog weekly, so I apologize... just a day or two over due... =)  I hope you all forgive me!!! (I know how exciting my blogs can be...)


This week I wanted to update you on my progress for one of the goals I have set for myself.  DIET AND NUTRITION...  Yes, I know, most of you would suggest that I do not need to lose weight.  And for the most part, you are right.  However, when it comes to trying to increase your endurance and performance in relation to training for all the wonderful events I do (for Team in Training, and on my own), weight is a huge factor.  


The picture to the side here is a comparison of what I am today (or two weeks ago) verses where I was 1 year ago.  On the left is A1A Half Marathon 2010 (160 lbs); and, on the right A1A Half Marathon 2011 (197 lbs).  As you can see, the weight is there to be lost.  I am not talking about starving myself or even getting to an unhealthy weight.  That is not my goal.  You see, at 6' tall, I hold my weight well.  This is the one advantage of height I have embraced since I started to get older and my metabolism started to slow down.  For someone of my height to gain or lose 25 even 35 lbs looks more like 10-15 lbs.  That is the advantage.  The disadvantage is I have to work twice as hard as someone only needing to lose the 10-15 lbs.

I am up to the challenge.  Why???  Say it with me folks... BECAUSE I CAN!!!  And you can, too!!!  With small changes to the things you drink and eat.  No Pills!  No Fad Diets! No Cutting off of limbs... (ok, so a little humor never hurt anyone...)

So where to start?  First things first... My weight.  How many women do you know who would share this info on the internet?  Well are your ready?  Two weeks ago I weighed in at 197.  Yes, that's right... 197!  After I take you through what I have changed and why I will share with you my weight today.


The first thing I changed was WATER INTAKE!!!  Some studies state that water drinkers actually shed pounds faster.  Water is calorie free and has a tendency to fill you up.  These studies indicate that drinking two glasses of water prior to eating a meal. This will give you the sense of being full.  One study found that water drinkers ate 75 to 90 fewer calories per meal.  Over the course of a day, this could amount to almost 300 calories - the equivalent of a Danish pastry or a pint and a half of beer.  To that I say "Bring on the water!!"

Over the last week I have increased my water intake.  I have gone from only drinking water when exercising (yes, bad I know) to drinking about 5 20oz bottles a day (more when I run, bike, or swim).  

Second, I have had several people telling me to limit my 'animal' foods.  That is a tough one to change since I was raised a 'steak and potato' girl.  What I decided to do instead is alter my selections of meat: rather than eating meats with processed diets, I am selecting only those that are grass fed naturally (from Whole Foods Market).  Sure a little higher in cost, but worth it if I can still have a steak from time to time.   Although I will not cut out meats completely (I think the iron and protein are essential when training) I did decide to limit my animal food meals to once a week.  

Let me clarify though, I do not consider fish animals.  Fish are fish; and, fish are high in proteins and low in fat. One of my favorite foods is fish... Tuna, Grouper, Shrimp, Lobster, Swordfish... I could go on, but you get the picture.  These items I will not limit.  


Sweets... I am not a big sweets eater. This one is easy for me.  I do however think one should not deprive themselves of a sweet treat every now and then. Just remember to limit your enjoyment of sweet treats to every now and then and not every meal.


All the little changes above have actually increased my energy even though I am limiting the calories I am taking in.  As such, my training routine is getting back to normal.  I am back to at least training once a day.  Attempting to fit in a few two-a-days when I can.  (As long as the two work outs are different: for instance swimming in the morning, running in the evening or vice versa.)

All in all, as I stepped on the scale this morning I realized I am almost 9 lbs down from two weeks ago.  You see, little changes can help.  Generally it is the little things that hurt as well.  So if you keep it simple it is easy to stick to the plan.  

I will leave you with this...  

More die in the United States of too much food than of too little.  ~John Kenneth Galbraith, The Affluent Society




4 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work! Hey wait a minute, aren't we doing the Biggest Loser competition together. I revise my statement to: Eat more cookies - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha... From you and Rob both... Yes, I will have a cookie here or there, BUT... It is everything else that I do that is making the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job. Jason is doing cross fit and loves it. He also makes Palio cookies in several different flavors. They are not what I call "Oreo" good, but pretty good and very healthy. No flour is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Uncle Jim!!! I am trying. Doing pretty good since I am down almost 10 lbs from two and a half weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete