Monday, February 21, 2011

"Awards become corroded, friends gather no dust."

The title of this posting is a quote I found that defined my time spent with Stephanie (my best friend) yesterday.  You see, as you already know, I run.  I like to run.  I am not fast, but I prefer running over walking any day.  In addition, I have been chasing my PR (personal record) for a year now and still have not busted it.  I had my chance yesterday being this is a flat fast course. However, I decided time with my very best friend during her first half marathon was far more important to me than some dumb number....  A number nobody cares about (well, except for me).


So let me explain my relationship with Steph...  She is a "sister from another mister" really.  About 7 or so years ago we met and became friends.  We hung a little here and there... but we were not very close.  In 2005 we started to hang out little bit more. Then in March of 2005 my mom passed away and Steph has never left my side since.  We are two peas in a pod.  Very similar in personality which most people would think would not work in a friendship like ours, but then again that is exactly why it works.  We know each other.  In 2009 Steph got married and I was the Maid of Honor in the wedding.  I was never so proud to be by her side.  And her family... WOW... They are just absolutely incredible.  Everyone was so welcoming and really made me feel like a part of the tribe.  (No voting me off of this Tribe!)

A few months ago, Steph's Uncle Jim was diagnosed with cancer.  He is doing great and will beat this, we already know that.  However, when I had decided to use Uncle Jim as my inspiration to get me through yet another run, Steph finally gave in to the 'marathon monster' and her "I want to do one with you one day" comment turned into, "I am officially registered".  So with that, she was in for the 2011 Fort Lauderdale A1A Half Marathon.  I certainly was not about to let her do it alone.  

On Sunday, February 20th, at 430am, Steph and I hit the streets of Downtown Ft Lauderdale like never before.  Oh sure, we had been there many of times... even at that time of day/night/morning (whatever)....  But rarely were we sober... and we certainly were not running (unless it was from the po-po... jk).

Steph was nervous.  Like a kid about to go to the dentist or something.  I remember those feelings from my first half.  But, like a champ, she rocked it.  It was great to feel like I was doing something bigger than just running another half marathon.  For this one, I was pacing a friend to finish with a walking pace that would get her to the end in under 3 hours.  

By mile 3 she was already looking for the finish line.  The only races she has ever entered have been 5ks.  So I get that feeling of wanting the finish like at mile 3.  But this was an endurance event... I told her to pace it out and keep her energy.  Slow and steady wins the race.  For those out there like us, a FINISH is a WIN!!!

CHEERS to Uncle Jim!!!!
She did great!  I know at times she wanted to slow down, but she kept pushing.  At the exit of Birch Park water stop, we kidded the cups they gave us were filled with Patron for me and Jager for her...  Then we cheered Uncle Jim!!!  Then off to mile 7-8-9....  by 9 miles Steph was back to WTF did I get my self into...  Ya, we have all been there.    I just kept her focused on the turn around.  After the turn there was just under 4 miles to go.  I think that was when she wanted to hit me.

We made the turn around and I think I got a little more out of her when I showed her how many people still had not even made the turn.  And even when we were at mile 11 we were still seeing people who had not made it to the turn.  I just kept talking to her about why we were there. I kept encouraging her to stick with it.  In her head she kept playing Chariots of Fire... While I was singing (or nah nah nahing) the theme to ROCKY.  And just like that we were under a mile from the finish.  The focus on her face, the determination to not give up... to finish what she set out to do...  What an amazing person she is...

In the last three or so miles we were trading places with a 20-something kid who kept sprinting then walking, sprinting then walking... his walks were slower and slower...  I explained that she kept a steady pace that was much better for her than this kid who although finished only steps in front of us, probably started the race sprinting thinking he could keep up a short distance pace in a long distance run.... This is why they call these things ENDURANCE events.  

We passed the Marathoners 26 mile marker... we were .2 miles from the finish.  She was making me laugh as she was kidding the finish line was so far away.  I told her it was 13 miles closer than it was when we started. I told her if she wanted to run to let me know. With that, no indication she was going to run, Steph started to sprint.  And she pumped out a great finish to her first half marathon just shy of our goal: official time 3:07 (a 14 min pace walk on average!!!). I was and AM very very proud of her!  What a rock star.  I give so much credit to those who walk these marathon events.  I want nothing to do with it ever again.  I told her, this was it.  She is no longer a newbie and therefore she is on her own for the next one!!


And for a fitting end to a great day with Stephanie, she received her very first finisher's medal shaped like a turtle!!!  Like I told her when we started...

Slow & Steady 
Wins the Race!!!

2 comments:

  1. That is a great story Andi. All throughout my life I had tons of friends. As I got older, life happened, friends moved, divorced and died and my friend pool became smaller. I can tell you that my memories of hanging out, playing golf, getting our families together will forever be ingrained in my mind.
    What you did with Steph will be with you both forever. Conversations that only the two of you will ever know. Laughs and crys that only friends like the two of you can share. Priceless.
    Thanks again for carrying me around all day. I followed the race as well as possible for Palm Beach . I hope this race brought two sister even closer.....that made it all worthwhile.

    Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Uncle Jim, you reminded me... I meant to mention how your family adopted me and just made me feel so welcomed all the time. I know I am not around, but it is not that I dont think about it or want to be. Just a very busy life with all I do.

    I love you guys!!! You are FAMILY!!!! <3 Ya!!!

    ReplyDelete