Sunday, March 20, 2011

Saving Lives, One Bridge (or haircut) at a Time

Wow!!!  This has been a very hectic two weeks for me.  Makes sense the team settled on McFlurry as a nickname (to go along with Coach Bryan Big Mac, Nikki McNugget, and Kris McCafe).  

Mom & Dad 1987
I did not post last week as I was out of town taking care of some family business.  You see, six years ago my Mom passed away.  In September '10 (only two days after returning from Nation's Triathlon) my Dad passed away.  This last weekend was the 6th anniversary of my Mom's passing and we chose that day to spread both of their ashes (and the dog's ashes) in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina.  Bittersweet, really.  What tough day it was; however, it was the end of a chapter and now I am ready to begin another.

Since I returned this last Friday it has been RUSH RUSH RSUH to get things done.  I had chores to do, training to complete, and a fund raiser for LLS.  A very busy weekend.  

I drove home from Atlanta, GA (my last stop on my trip) on Friday (a total -from the entire trip- of almost 2000 miles alone on the road) and straight to my nail salon I went (not a minute to waste).  Yes, I know... I am an 'athlete' what do I need all that for?  Um...  I am still a GIRL too!!!  Then after getting home at 8pm from a week away, I took care of the cats then off to bed for an early morning of TNT Training the next day.

Training... Well, more like TORTURE!!!  I love my coach.  No, Really, I do.  I know Big Mac is just making us better bike riders at the end of it all.  (Cue the evil laugh 'buahahahahahahahahahaha!')

We were scheduled for our Summer Season Mock Event.  This is when each team puts their training to the test and runs through the motions of race day.  For the cycle team, it is normally a 30+ mile bike ride.  Well, this time we were only doing 20 miles.  That was the good news... The Bad News????  It was 20 miles of BRIDGE REPEATS....  And once again, Coach Brutal Bryan Big Mac earns his nickname.  (Cue the evil laugh #2 'buahahahahahahahahahaha!')

So after some quick announcements, off we went.  A quick mile (+) out and back warm up before 6 up and over bridge rides on the Lake Worth Intercoastal Bridge. Like your shampoo bottle says: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.... We were out and back again then another 6 bridge repeats.  And then AGAIN....  (Cue the evil laugh #3 'buahahahahahahahahahaha!')

Well, I will not lie... While the rest of the team managed all 18 (or more) I managed only 10 bridge repeats and the out and back 3 times.  My long drive home from Atlanta on Friday had taken a toll on me.  Not to mention that my inhaler was still packed away in my bag from my trip.  I decided NOT to kill myself the first day back.  I still managed about 17.8 miles of bridge work and flat rides.  

With the time change back on our side for longer days, I can start to really get my weekly miles in biking on Tuesday and Thursday nights.  The extra miles during the week will certainly help my weekend biking.

After the Mock Event was finished, the Cycle Team had a team meeting over breakfast to chat about fundraising (important stuff) and also our upcoming Clermont Trip for REAL hill work.  With all that out of the way, we left each other to get on with the rest of our weekend.  Now it was time for me to switch into FUND RAISER role. 

So much was still undone for the event planned for Sunday (today). After a quick shower, down to the salon for last minute review of the schedule of events, raffle prizes and food shopping.  After several hours of planning, shopping, prepping, etc.... I finally made it home to get a few hours of sleep before heading back to the salon.  

The Staff at Hello Gorgeous Salon with myself
After the very successful event!
Sunday Morning I woke up and started the prep for the big day...  Cuts for Cancer at the Hello Gorgeous Salon in Davie Florida (2853 S University Drive).  Carlos (the owner), Amanda (the assistant), and Nicole/Nancy/Freddie (the stylists) donated the salon and their time to cut hair all day today to help support my goal with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  And what a FANTASTIC DAY it was.  39 Hair Cuts, several other donations, and in total a $850 donation to LLS!!!  Rock Stars!!! 

One word about this salon.... Hello Gorgeous is a highly professional Salon with TOP NOTCH stylists.  This is not a Super Cuts or Tiger Cuts type of salon.  These ladies and gentlemen are highly talented in what they do and the only ones I trust with my hair.  I travel 30 miles (not on my bike though) to have them do my hair every 4-6 weeks.  For them to donate their time, their day, their salon to this cause means so much to me!  AND, to top it off, they are looking at making this an ANNUAL event!!!  I am so excited to have these friends in my life.

I have to thank ALL the people who dedicated their day to making this an amazing weekend!  Yes, A very busy and hectic one, but I would never have it any other way....  I love my Life, my Family, my Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Glad that the event went so well! How'd you get your fundraising page to list on your blog? I would love to add that to ours! Let me know :)

    ReplyDelete