Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Individual Commitment to a Group Effort


"...That is what makes a Team work, a Company work, a Society work, a Civilization work" Vince Lombardi

Sunrise at the 2011
FAU Sprint Triathlon
Vince Lombardi was an amazing coach, with a ton of wisdom and an incredible ability to inspire a TEAM to victory. I often think of the many quotes attributed to Coach Lombardi. This particular one stood out for me this weekend. You see, although this blog is dedicated to my endeavors with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training, not all of my days are about my training/participation in the endurance sports we dedicate ourselves to. Sunday was one of those days where it was not about me at all.
Sandra, TNT Teammate

Each 'season' the Society has teams dedicated to training and fundraising for events. This current season I am involved with the Cycle Team (as you know from reading about my many hours in the saddle). However, there are two other teams this season I don't often see: a Marathon Team that is training for the Rock n Roll San Diego Marathon and Half Marathon (I ran the half last year) and the Triathlon Team whose members are training for either FAU Wellness Sprint Triathlon or St Anthony's Olympic Triathlon. Sunday was about the Sprint Triathletes, many of which were competing in their first triathlon event. Oh, I remember those days of nerves and anxiety about open water swims... Oh, wait, that was only last summer... right!
Coach Rob, AKA
Coach Smack Talk

I am writing today about the team effort that took place on Sunday with these amazing people... the Purple People as we refer to ourselves. You see, it takes a unique individual to train for an endurance event. Even more unique to train for a triathlon. Add to this effort the fundraising and selflessness of the reasons for training and participating and you have one amazing character. Each Purple Person I have met in the last two years has inspired me in a different way. Sunday was my chance to show them how much they inspire me.
 
Very early in the morning on Sunday, before the sun even thought about peaking up on the horizon, I set out on my way to Spanish River Park in Boca Raton to watch the FAU Sprint Triathlon. This was the first time in over two years I was a viewer on the sidelines... I thought for certain I would be itching to be in the water, on the bike, or running through the park just watching these athletes go. However, after the training we had on Saturday, I was all to happy to take my place as a cheerleader for the Purple People.
Mikki, TNT
Triple Crown

With my cowbell in hand, pompoms in tote (one in my cap like a ponytail), and not to mention my voice (a voice accustomed to loud chants from years of cheerleading as a child) I headed to the beach for the swim portion of the triathlon. This was a super sprint triathlon so only a 1/4 mile swim in the ocean, a 10 mile bike, and a 3.1 mile run: Easy, right? That depends on who you ask!!!

These teammates of mine who I rarely have a chance to train with were amazing as I watched them coming out of the water smiling and running to their bikes. Many of these folks experience great anxiety over open water swims. I applaud them for conquering their fears and heading out into the ocean that early morning. I will say, the ocean was well behaved as there were barely even ripples let alone waves to compete with.
Chris, TNT Teammate

Out of the water & off with the swim cap as they trek their way towards transition. This is a bit of a difficult course for transition since you actually have to run under A1A through a tunnel to get from the beach to the park and transition area. Once there, it is on with the helmet & bike shoes, and biking off to a ten mile sprint.

One thing I should mention, I noticed as the swimmers were exiting the ocean fog had begun to set in around Boca Raton's coastline. This was going to make for some challenges during the bike course. But never fear, the Purple People are here! And they were not deterred by a little fog!

Me, TNT Cheerleader
I did not have a chance to see many of my teammates complete their bike portion; however, thankful to Jacey for her photography skills that day, I was able to relive a bit of those moments with them after the race. My post was by the finish line cheering our team on to a strong finish. That I did!

I believe at one point someone was trying to confiscate my cowbell. Not a chance!! Not only was I not giving it up, I am quite attached to my cowbell.  In all my cheering, I actually injured myself with the cowbell.  Later in the morning, I was actually given a second cowbell, and that just made me glow!
Leanne, Current TNT
Teammate

As I watched our teammates one by one coming around the finish line, I was not only impressed by their smiles as they approached their end, I was inspired by their commitment to this cause. None of these fine individuals gave up. They kept pushing to the end and even if worn out from the long morning and heat that was settling in on the early afternoon, you would not know it as they were dashing to the finish line. Inspired is an understatement.
Coach Big Mac

Even more to a testament of the things we do to raise awareness for this great cause, one of my current teammates (and Coach Big Mac) completed the triathlon just one day after the torturous bridge repeats and water tower climbs from Saturday. Impressive!

Often I am asked why I continue to work with LLS when I have the ability and training base to train on my own for these events that I love so much. It is more than just the shear fact that I may not actually work hard without the team behind me, it is largely due to the Purple People. This group of people, not just here in Palm Beach, but from all over the country, is an amazing group. They are selfless and inspiring. They are encouraging and tenacious. I am proud to be a part of The Purple Nation we call Team In Training!

GO TEAM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment